June is already here and we can’t believe how fast the year is flying by! The warm weather is upon us and that means we’re enjoying the outdoors and the fresh in season produce that comes with it! We’re here to share our five favorite seasonal ingredients in Connecticut this month!
- Strawberries– First of all, who doesn’t love sweet strawberries in the summer time?! We’re crazy about chocolate covered strawberries and strawberry shortcake just to name a few. They’re great because of the nutritional value, and because you can dress them up or dress them down, such a simple ingredient!
- Spinach– Spinach is another great in season pick this month. It’s such a versatile ingredient since you can eat it raw, saute or cream it, or even incorporate it into any dish like a quiche or on top of pizza! It’s also a great add-in to a healthy smoothie….it’s good to get those greens in somehow!
- Cilantro– Aside from the delicious and fresh taste, cilantro is also a good source of natural vitamins. During June, we love tossing it in a salad for an extra kick of flavor! Don’t worry…we didn’t forget that it’s also a great ingredient in guacamole! We love to make a good bowl of guac for dipping purposes, and also to top our summer tacos! (Our favorite is fish tacos 😉)
- Summer Squash– The name speaks for itself, summer squash is in season towards the end of the month, when summer truly begins! Summer squash makes for a simple and delicious side dish, and there are so many ways you can incorporate it into your meal. It can be sautéed, roasted, and even an addition to your grilled chicken skewers. We’re positive that it’ll be the highlight of your summer cookout!
- Cherries– Cherries are in season towards the end of the month, and we’re looking forward to the delicious antioxidants that they provide! Some of our favorite ways to eat cherries are by including them in oatmeal for a perfect start to the day, adding them into a fresh bowl of Greek yogurt for a mid-day snack and also making a fresh cherry jam to put on toast. Since cherries are sweet, we also love to use them for dessert! They’re great for fresh cherry pie, cobbler and even homemade cherry ice cream to finish off a great summer BBQ party!
We’re so ready to make delicious summer dishes with fresh ingredients!